Friday, September 10, 2010

Try to remember the kind of September ....

It was way back on September 13th, 1950, that I came into the world as a part of a two-for-the-price-of-one deal.

Less technically, I was a twin - 10 minutes behind my dear departed brother. Two things come out of this mathematically.

1. I was conceived in the midst of a cold winter Christmas in merry old England maybe late December or early January).

2. I am about to turn 60. (ah!!! the wonders of advanced mathematics!). See just what you can do with numbers!

Many a great person was born on the 13th of September, including the great 5 times-Olympic-gold-medalist-sprinter, Michael Johnson. (don't ya just love hyphens!!!!)

But somehow, much to my chagrin  my name is not on this here list of famous people born on September 13th - -

perhaps it is just a typographical error ..... or a mere silly oversight .....  or something more malicious!     Don't be so paranoid lad!

This site details in great detail the intimate details from the period just prior to my conception to my actual entry into this world. (be careful .... the word sperm is mentioned!!!!!!!  but not other vital players in the game  --- you will be relieved!!!)

Being of a nervous disposition at the best of times, I have been known to bite the odd nail or so (but always my own nails). Apparently, if I had never bitten, chewed or cut my nails since I was born, they (my nails) would be

2.961 metres long next Monday. (Charming thought)










My hair would be 8.743 metres long.











So what famous events happened on my birthday?

Michelangelo started work on his statue of David  (1503)

The Star-Spangled Banner   was written by Francis Scott Key. (1814)

The temperature in the shade hit 57.8 centigrade someplace in Libya (1922). Now that real global warming folks!

I finish with a quote from one born on September 13, Sherwood Anderson, who in a moment of post-modern madness said:

" That in the beginning when the world was young there were a great many thoughts but no such thing as truth. Man made the truths himself and each truth was a composite of a great many vague thoughts".

One last thought ,
 I may be 60 in base 10

but ..... I am am only:

50 years old in base 12!! 

40 in base 15

30 in base 20

20 in base 30

10 in base 60
oh joy   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



 

3 comments:

an passion8 admirer said...

aaah come on ya can't be 60 lad!

peter said...

you could beat methuzala in base 3

David said...

Congratulations old son