Monday, August 31, 2009

Around the world I searched for you …

Sailing single-handed around the world is not, quite Frankly, in my top 1000 list of the things to do.


I like challenges, but endless months of seasickness is not one of them. Grabbing the headlines last week was this interminable story of some 13 year Dutch girl (NZ Citizen – born in Nu Zulun waters – don’t you know!) who was being stymied by the Dutch authorities from doing the round-the-world thing.


Some 17 year Brit has just done it.


My congratulations to the Dutch authorities. How young is old enough? or is that How old is young enough?


Well, young Laura Dekker may yet still get the chance. Trouble is, all of the wrong people are sailing around the world. Another totally rivetting news item was that Winston Peters wants to emerge – yes – rise again from the political graveyard. Oh golly gosh, I wish he would sail around the world.


Now for the really important news! I was in the winning team for the annual Calliope Kohn cup relay. The Kohn cup is a semi-world-famous trophy that’s been in existence for many years
The event involves a lap from Birkenhead to Beach Haven and then a lap back by a slightly different route.


Anyhooo, our team triumphed. But unfortunately, our first member was not registered with the club. So alas, we have forfeited the glamorous trophy to the second team across the line.
I leave you with a shot of me in another relay many years ago, when I were young and faster.

No comments: