Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Smile though your heart is aching, smile even though its breaking ...

The RWC Rugby World Cup draweth nigh in little old Nu Zulun.

We hope that the ABs (All Blacks) will win.

However, the real test for Nu Zulun is whether we are mature enough to host this competition. We are by all accounts a young country in the scheme of things. The RWC will test whether we have come of age.

The prospects of the All Blacks have been dissected, trisected, analysed, and pyscho-analysed. One commentator (Sean Fitzpatrick) warns regarding All Blacks that there is no room for playing games.

Have I missed something here? I thought, (silly me) that rugby was a game that people played.

Fitzpatrick, who, I admit, I have taken out of context hints indirectly at my point.

The RWC will only be a success if there is plenty of room for sport, playing games and having fun.

It will not be so successful if untold kiwis rest their their sense of identity and self esteem on an All Blacks victory.

So dare I say it?

"May the best team win!"

No comments: