Monday, July 20, 2009

Fly me to the moon …

Bet that song is getting a lot of air time today. I was very aptly in a seventh form (year 13) physics class when the announcement came over the airwaves. Later that day or the next we watched the flickering images on our black and white TV. I was at Northcote College winding up for the mid-year exams.

It was a good year. In early March, I broke the school senior one mile record. A record I still hold as things went metric shortly afterwards. I was president of the Northcote College debating society which met in the school hall on Friday evenings because numbers, which were well over 100 on the nights of big debates, forced us out of the music room we had inhabited in previous years.

I was also the school senior public speaking champion as I had been the previous year, and once again took part in the school drama production. I earned a school blues for sport and a gold award for contributions to the cultural side of things. Finally, I gained a university bursary.

Yet that great possibility of space travel we dreamt of on that day in 1969 has simply not been fulfilled. We seem to have lost that sense of destiny and swapped a universal adventure for the titillation of a trinket at the local shopping mall. The images from forty years ago simply serve to remind us that as a planet we have horribly lost our way.

No comments: