Thursday, July 9, 2009

My head was down, my heart was turning a round ...



I can’t tell you just how many emails I get telling me I am so famous I should go on their who’s who. Strathmore’s who’s who was the latest today. Now there is of course such a thing. However it was not Strathmore’s that emailed me. It was some phisher hiding, lurking, prowling ….wanting me to login to their fake login page.

Trouble is my colleague in the office seems to be very bit as famous as me – he gets them too. So far my ego has remained intact and I have not succumbed to these phishing exploits.

Yet there are souls who fall for these who’s who scams. The appeal to vanity is a strong one especially if the one appealed to has a rather fragile sense of self. In spite of warnings people are still prepared to yield up sensitive information and even passwords for the stroking of their ego.

But I am famous. My name featured in the NZ Herald sports section this week. I was in the winning team at the Harry Kerr Centennial 50 km walk relay (5 x 10 km) held at Mount Smart Stadium on a somewhat wet and windy July 5th. I had the third leg and walked with all the finesse and speed of a custard tart. It was not one of my better performances. The wind was howling down the back straight and the Mount Smart track is not kind at the best of times. The photo shows me about to overtake the opposition.
I was the slowest in my team - however had there been five of me, we would have still won by a good margin.
For winning the Harry Kerr Centennial Relay, we each received a bronze replica the the original medal Harry Kerr won at the 1908 London Olympic games. We also got a large certificate which is modelled on the original diploma awarded to Harry Kerr at those Olympics. The race was held in conjunction with the the Race Walking New Zealand 5 x 10,000m Track Walk Relay Championship 2009. So we all got an additional gold medal for being first in that event. So 2009 has been a medal winning year for me.

No comments: