Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September … the golden warm September of our years

It is a quintessential spring morning here in Auckland town, Nu Zulun. A cloudless sky reigns above a hazy lazy Waitemata harbour.

While September signals spring in the antipodes, it bespeaks fall in the northern climes, “when the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame”.

September in the songs is the month that speaks to the drawing on of the latter days of a life-time. It our neck of the world we would have to sing about March I guess, which doesn't have the same ring to it!

The two songs I know well are the September of my years and September song. Here’s a version by Jimmy Durante. That man with the nose! And here is the classic version by Sinatra in the midst of his capitol years.

For us down here, September is the month of the spring equinox. This year it occurs on September 22 nd at 21:18 Greenwich. Once again, the daylight grows longer and the hours of darkness dwindle.

September is my favourite month; after all it is my birthday month – like so many others whose parents had time on their hands the previous Christmas season.

For running addicts like me, it means no more running in the dark. It means hot sweaty runs. It means running through the bush tracks and along golden beaches.

So you see I do believe in climate change! As to what causes it short term and long term – I am absolutely certain – it is our relationship to that big ball of nuclear fire in the centre of our solar system.

No comments: