Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Though the way be long, let your heart beat strong …

Usain Bolt has to run hard for 9 and a half seconds or in the case of 200 metres, just over 19 seconds. Haile Gebrselassie has to lay it on the line for 2hours and 5 minutes. Who is the greater athlete?

Well, as I have said before, the question ought not be asked. But we sadly have to start choosing. I think they offer a fitting contrast; of youth with maturity, of speed with endurance.

Usain is a new boy on the block; Haile has been around forever it seems and has a string of titles, gold medals and world records that leave the everyday athlete (like yours truly) gobsmacked.
Gebrselassie won the Berlin marathon, yet again. It was the current world record-holder’s fourth straight win.

A little known movie called “endurance” was put out about his life. I have it on video. To see the guy’s background in basic poverty makes you admire him all the more. However, the movie itself was somewhat tedious and disneyish. Hopefully, something much more worthy of the great man will yet be produced.

I have only run two marathons. I am glad I did. I have no intention of running any more. The half marathon is quite sufficient thanks. Everyone who can should give it a go once. When you hit the wall with 6 km to go, you learn stuff about yourself, you could never learn otherwise.

I wonder if Usain Bolt will ever run a marathon. I hear Gerbrselassie has runs loads of 100 and 200 meters.

No comments: