Monday, October 5, 2009

Singin in the rain, singin in the rain, what a glorious feeling …


The first weekend in October was decidedly wet in Auckland town Nu Zulun. My friend Mike is preparing for a 50 km walk on the 25th of October. On Saturday morning, he went out for a 4 hour training stint. I joined him for a 12 km section of it. He had already been on his feet for 1 hour 25 minutes when he spun past my place.

We mused together on things as we walked. Both agreed on a Tua win if the fight finished early.

We reflected too, on just how much a long training stint is about mental toughness.

With up-and-coming Keri Keri half marathon in mind, I stepped out the next days into a rainy Sunday morning for a 20 km effort. I had been delaying the inevitable - looking vainly for a break in the weather. But by ten oclock, any clearance seemed only a remote possibility, so I steeled myself, donned a parker, gritted my teeth and hit the road.

It was a glorious feeling - that last 3km - body shattered, clothing drenched, wind-in-your face stuff. But oh, the sense of mastery over that other "self" that had wanted to just cozy up on the couch and watch another episode of M*A*S*H.

Home again, triumphant! Hot shower. Now where was that M*A*S*H episode where Father Mulcahy runs 12 mile to raise money for the orphanage?

Photo courtesy of www.freefoto.com

No comments: