Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea ...

I have a penchant for karaoke. So do my Filipino friends.
So on the evening of New Years Day I joined these friends for a house warming.

After some food and a few beers, out came the karaoke equipment and a selection of what seemed like 10,000 choices of song.

And so we warbled into the night. I reserved my favourites and did Sinatra proud.

After the song, you get a percentage score. I kicked off with something in the early eighties. Tolerable.

We sang on passing the two microphones on like relay batons. Midway through proceedings the top score was 95% posted by one the these fine Filipino songsters.

It was time to pull out my secret weapon - the one song I knew I could count on!

PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON - It had never failed me before.

With confidence I took the microphone and intoned the Peter Paul and Mary classic.

99%  and well earned applause.

Trouble is, in the Philippines the number 99 carries great significance.

It basically means you are one sandwich short of a picnic, not the full deck, out to lunch, lights are on nobody home, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, a kangaroo loose in the top paddock .... if you get my drift.

But I am sure that is not true of me ... as you can see dear reader ...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've never looked better!