Wednesday, March 18, 2009

All I am saying is give peace a chance ....

I saw a guy being interviewed on breakfast this morning (that self-congratulatory TV One programme). He was going on about the army, terrorism, strategic deployment of troops. It all sounded quite militaristic and even scare-mongerish. Apparently, we must be ready for the “worse case scenario”! Then I says to myself, “I know that face”. Anyhoo, at the end of the interview he is revealed as one Jim Veitch from the department of strategic studies at Victoria University. Apparently he is now in the School of Government (a more ghastly title I cannot think of).

Jim (in a previous incarnation) was in the religious studies area. Admittedly he is still into disarmament and arms control (thank God), but the way the interview went, one might have thought quite the opposite.

Anyhoo, perhaps Mr. Veitch’s shift is indicative of the state of education in NZ today. Perhaps it offers an even bigger insight into the state of religion in NZ today.

And as an afterthought, I thought that prayer was the way religious people got ready for the worse case scenario. “live by the sword … die by the sword” eh what????

No comments: