Friday, September 24, 2010

Never never change ... Keep that breathless charm. Won't you please arrange it ?

What's in a name?

Thus spake Will .... "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

So with the Delhi games in Jeopardy one Sheila Dikshit has taken over. How unfortunate ... and I speak as a sociolinguist ... that a perfectly ordinary name in one language ... does not ... spell... well  ... quite so nice in another language.

Apparently the correct pronunciation is "Dixit"

I wonder what some English names might 'mean' in other languages?

They tell me that Brad Pitt has problems with his surname in Swedish. Who is they?

Now far be it from me to be culturally insensitive.

Many stars of stage and scream screen have changed their names from the mundane to the unforgettable that's what you are ...

Cliff Richard was of course once Harry Rodger Webb.

Elton John entered the world as  Reginald Kenneth Dwight

Cary Grant was none other than Archibald Alexander Leach 

and Frank Sinatra was born  Francis Albert Sinatra ... aah some people get all the luck....

and as they say .... the list goes on   ......

My challenge to you dear reader! if you became a famous celebrity over night ...fat chance ... what name would you delicately select for your good self?

Go to the comments below right now and let me know. 

And let me know what Pitt means in Swedish     if you dare.

3 comments:

Fortesque R. Tidebottom said...

If I were famous I would call myself
Rip Torn

Shakespeare's bottom said...

Do you realise that sidebotham was once sidebottom

which is a contradiction
either it is side or bottom!!

John said...

You forget marion mithcell morrison

aka John Wayne!!