Monday, September 6, 2010

Your cheatin heart will tell on you ....

I received an email with a link to a site: Why students cheat. US$99 seemed a bit steep for a 22 page book.

Anyhoo, I have often thought that exams are kind of like educational bulimia.

In the days and hours leading up to the exam, the students cram like crazy.

In the exam room they throw up, vomit and spew all their memorised "knowledge".

After the exam, they quickly forget the lot.

Seems to me that in the 21st century, we need much better ways of assessing learning than that.

I think there is still a case for exams in certain subjects, but I try as much as I can to avoid them as assessment tools.

One tool I use is blogs. Among other things, they give the student writers a lot bigger audience (than just their teachers) to read what they write.

No comments: